Wednesday, December 5

Blanco Carro saved me

I am not a major movie buff but i do read the reviews of some promising flicks , with great ardour and usually a strong storyline excites me and then i make plans to watch the movie. hubby dear isn't too much into movies either but once in a while we both enjoy a good flick. I would like to believe that we are sensible cine-goers and don't usually end up watching every other movie that hits the box office. i take pride in the fact that i can critique a film well (often without watching it!) and therefore can be relied upon for an honest opinion on whether to watch or not. But sadly even the wisest of cine-goers ends up making errors of judgement and sometimes ends up watching not one but two stupid flicks in a row, despite knowing that the second one is a sure shot damp squib.
the other day, the husband decided to be a do-gooder and came to pick me up and so my little brain cooked up ideas on how to convince him to watch a 'good' movie. it wasn't too tough, he was in a good mood, happy about his latest possession, his white car and very unsuspectingly, said yes to a seemingly harmless request.
As the drive progressed, he began to realise his folly; traffic was quite heavy and he was worried about his 'baby' in this case his 'car.' So i heard some heavy sighs, mutterings under his breath and monosyllabic talk for the rest of the way. Part of me wanted to say - Ok! what the heck, lets not have you fuming this way, and go home....But i didn't say a word.
Reached one of the huge malls and the husband, was eager to first find parking for his little white baby, who must be 'tired' of the drive! (I was getting a bit jealous of this now, for she seemed to usurp the precious little time we had together)

So we parked her into a cozy space in the underground parking lot and grumpily, he got out...I shot him one of my 'trademark' glances that said- Now that we're here let's just enjoy the movie... he shot back a forced- watered down smile...still muttering under his breath. But love makes you do strange things and so, reluctantly, he started to 'enjoy our time together.'
As we reached the ground level in order to cross over since the movie of choice was playing in a theatre across the road, we realised that thanks to the construction work, it was next to impossible to get across and so we settled to watch- Om Shanti Om at the theatre in the same mall where we had parked.
Decision made, i thought it would bring a smile to hubby dear's face since he quite likes SRK! A slight smile, I did see. All along, I was thinking about another disaster that we had wasted time upon -'Saanwariya.' We were yet to get over the extreme shock, (even hurt) and boredom of that 3 hour ordeal. ' This one can't be bad, won't make the same mistake twice', I convinced myself.
we strolled through the mall to kill time. And then i got hungry!! Again a bone of contention for hubby who likes to indulge me most times, but is of the opinion that whenever we decide to 'spend quality time together' we end up 'spending quality money', gaining extra calories and worrying about cholestrol and fat. I agreed, angrily and thought that perhaps ordering 'steamed' momos would help. 'Atleast it wasn't fried', I reasoned within me, though not convinced.
hungrily i polished off the plate of momos, ordered for some (more) noodles and it was time for the movie.
The hall was, well, almost empty. so we had seats of choice (the only thing good in the entire three hours, i realised much later.) OSO turned out to be like sipping on tea gone horribly cold. An extremely juvenile take on the cinema of the 60s. A spoof that went poof!
It was trying its best to be entertaining, but it was far from it. Hubby dear sulked and sulked and sulked and sulked and I dare not look at him. Through the corner of my eye, I could see him slunking deeper and deeper into the seat, looking with complete disgust at the screen, cursing his stars. I tried my best to 'laugh' at every possible joke, but all i could manage was a weak, make-believe giggle. For it was such an effort to even laugh. So I giggled and he smirked... at my giggle. And I ...I cursed SRK for letting me down and blamed him for the - 'I told you so Fight' that I knew would follow. I imagined the discourses on how stubborn I was about wanting something; how i knew how to throw a tantrum like a child to have my way.
Three torturous hours over, we stepped out quietly with the other, equally bored and stunned movie goers with us, towards the lifts. Intentionally avoiding his piercing gaze, I told some arbit female in the lift how boring the movie was. I knew I sounded stupid.
Well, it didn't help. But once in the parking lot, all he could think of was of his White Baby. He was happy when he spotted her. He seemed to have forgotten the ordeal. Then something magical happened, instead of him nagging me about how bad the movie was and what a stupid idea it was to watch it, he spoke about the car! In fact the journey back was less about my folly and more concentrated on some sound that our Blanca (Spanish for white) Baby was making. Truly, I felt a twang of guilt for being jealous of her...after all she turned out to be my lifesaver.

No comments: