Monday, January 7

The Sealing Saga - Part 1

There it was, on the second page of the Times of India, Delhi's premier daily, a fairly big write up and a picture of our office building, the second floor balcony of our office clearly within the frame of the picture. Thankfully, it was without the sign board, which we had just removed a week ago. I stared open mouthed at the piece and realised with nervousness for the first time, that I was going to be affected by an event that was creating national news!! It should have created a flutter, but it gave me panic attacks instead. The MCD 'claws' were closing in on my office space.
You know, reading about the chaos and mayhem is one thing, being part of that mayhem is quite another. Here I was the ' head ' of office of the Delhi branch, sitting and sipping my cup of cool tea, stunned beyond my wits about what was going to happen. my mind was conjuring up images of the Fearful Squad as though they were the Klu Klux Klan, pot-bellied men in their safari suits, their teeth brown and red with stains of tobacco and paan, Cops in their unfriendly khakhi and rude demeanour, and the Media and Press shoving and pushing to take pictures of our office and us, as the defaulters! Defaulters! Criminals!..hoo! boy! i didn't want to make national news of this kind. I imagined us putting up a fight Rang De Basanti ishtyle and then a shiver went down my spine, thinking of the gory end that met the protagonists...."Hmm! what happened?" my husband's question, shook me out of my 'nightmare'. I showed him the news piece. his eyes scanned the piece. he didn't say anything. Just a heavy pause, pregnant with meaning. I stared at him open mouthed. " hmm" he sighed again....hmmm??? just a hmmm?? here i was Paranoia Personified and all he could manage was a " hmmm"....huh!
The scene in office was devoid of the paranoia that I was experiencing. Liz, the Asst Manager was busy at her desk and waved a short 'hi'; Chandini, the trainer was sitting in her track suit and sport shoes in the training room poring over the day's lessons, a few students sat staring at their text books, Kitty, the Nurse Relations Coordinator sat in the same room as Liz flipping the pages of the dreaded TOI morning edition, but obviously not reading it, or she would have been the first one to tell me and there was Pavan, the office assistant obliviously tottering about his everyday tasks. I hated to disturb the peace. A little while later Liz walked into to wish me, and taking one look at me, she took no time in asking me what the matter was.
I passed on the paper to her, with a grim face, true Bollywood ishtyle, my eyes staring glumly at the computer screen, my ears in eager expectation, to hear the gasp from Liz. Sure enough she gasped and said " what are we going to do, Shilpa? "

And with that question began our sealing saga. - A saga that taught us "lessons in sealing" and then came back once again to "test our skills in sealing." A saga that taught me a great deal about team work, relationships, girl power and above all God's love and His Providence through the testing times. It was also about being faithful in small things, in inspiring another and keeping a straight head when all around you are losing theirs. It also taught me that it was okay to not think straight at some time and allow the team to share some of the burden.

There were times when I felt so alone in handling all of the stress,when questions and calls from higher-ups were tough to answer. Therir anxiety was understandable. This was someone else's money that I was dealing with. but one look at my team and the girls and their confidence, I knew i wasn't alone.

it taught me that God can accomplish great things from a completely unlikely bunch of people. I learned patience over frustration, learnt to lean on God. Sealing earned me friendships with colleagues like Liz and Susan and Kitty. Sealing taught me to value my husband and his wise counsel. His rock steady strength was what kept me afloat. In times, when I cribbed about being the Team Leader and wanting to run away and hide in the confines of a new job, he showed me my cowardice and taught me to face my fears, to gather my wits and march on ahead.

But why am i writing about all of this, only to chronicle an event that tested me and I cannot, should not, must not forget the meaning of it. As I look back, I wonder How....how did we and then I see the footprints of the Nazarene - Emmanuel....God with us!!!

To Be Continued...


No comments: